Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

This is Fun

I feel pretty good right now! I seemed to have turned the corner in my fitness. You see, I have been training in MarkAllen's low heartrate style for my last couple races (1/2IM's and IM). Once I got my aerobic threshold test a few weeks ago, I realized that I had been running above my AT for my entire athletic career. (side note - that career started at about age 28) So, my aerobic system was not very well developed at all. When I had to slow down into aerobic zones, I was running 10:20 - 10:40 min/miles. As a reference point, my "natural" pace is about 7:20-7:30. K has been quite fond of telling me how awkward I look running at that pace. I feel pretty awkward, too. Like I don't fit in my skin or something. But I stuck with it because I figured Mark knows a lot more than I do about what it takes to do an IM. I never really got fast before Wisconsin, but I was ready for the race. I did speed up during the speedwork phase, and dropped to about 9:00 or so per mile aerobic pace, but still never really felt "fast".

So, last night I had a tempo run. I did hilly terrain and stayed aerobic. 9:08/mile pace. It felt fantastic!! It has been dropping steadily over the last couple weeks, but this was amazing. About 1/2 the time was sub-9, the other half climbing hills at 10ish. I felt.... right. I felt like I was running with good form and not forcing it. Wow. I can't wait to start speed work!!! I am hopeful to get to 8:30/mile aerobically this time. Since I spent most of my running time in the past anaerobic, I know I can run hard in that realm. Now I'm finally getting to where I can run at a reasonable pace (for me). I know we're all different, but for me things are starting to come together.

That reminds me about our ride last weekend. One of the guys in our group is named Troy. He can cycle, um, let's just say better than the rest of us. I have a mantra to keep me going for the run at CDA, since it was absurdly obvious that Troy will be the first off the bike. "Catch Troy" "Catch Troy" "Catch Troy". :) Maybe that will help when walking sounds like a great alternative to running!

You know, this triathlon lifestyle is pretty amazing. We think about split times and improvements, and how in the world we're going to get out of bed that early... and it keeps us happy. What a perfect hobby.

2 comments:

momo said...

think he'll be doing those one-legged drills in cda??? :-)

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

That aerobic heart rate training system works. The way it was described to me was this:
at that slow speed, your body takes the time to create millions and millions of NEW, tiny capillaries to transfer oxygen throughout your body while you exercise. As those capillaries mature, they become really really efficient. Once they are created and efficient, you can slowly start speeding up your pace, yet you don't even notice it because your body has become so skilled at nourishing the machine. You just gradually get faster and faster with the same (and sometimes even less) effort.
It takes a lot of patience to do this build. But you are an Ironman. You already know Patience! Ironman is a thinking man's game. You sound like you are poised to be on fire this season.
Jenny