Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Monday, February 18, 2008

Week 2 of 20

Here's a recap of week 2 of training for IronMan Coeur d'Alene triathlon in June:

Swim: 6500meters
Bike: 92 miles
Run: 22.8 miles

And here's the strangest part. I swim Mon, Wed, and Sat. Swimming is usually a chore for me. Especially on Saturdays (my recovery swim) after a long ride or brick. But, for some reason, I felt myself craving the swim like I do a bike ride or run. What is going on?!?!?!? Anyway, I'll take it. It is 1 out of 3 of the events in triathlon, so doing some training is probably a good idea. :)

K and I watched the 2007 IM championships on Tivo yesterday. If you haven't ever watched those shows, I cannot recomend it highly enough. Talk about motivation! The highlight for me was to watch a guy named Scott Rigsby become an ironman. He raced with us in Couer d'Alene last year, end-o'd on his bike, and ultimately dropped out. I saw him out there running and he helped me limp through my ever-so-slow marathon. I didn't know it at the time, but after his bike crash the volunteers literally duct-taped his legs back on. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the dude had both legs amputated like 20 years ago. You read that right. A guy with no legs finished the IM world championships. If that doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will.

He inspired me to make a decision I was on-the-fence about. I decided that I am indeed going to race the 2008 Rage in the Sage 1/2Ironman triathlon. It is a tough, tough, tough course. On the website, presumably to "sell" the registration, here is the quote about the run description: "This course is sick! Nothing like it!". Thanks, Scott, for giving me the courage to go for it. I knew I would do at least the Olympic distance (which I've done before), but now I am committed to the 1/2Iron. Anybody else interested in joining me for this torture & suffer-fest? Um, I mean cool race??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I consider, that you are not right. Write to me in PM, we will talk.