Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Sunday

I love the Super Bowl. It's the one time - EVER - that we look forward to commercials. It's the one time all year that virtually everyone watches football. And, invariably, we all try to gather with friends and make the game an event.

And this year, the Patriots are trying to make history. I have been a Pats fan since I knew what a football was (I grew up in New England), so I'm looking forward to watching the game more than ever before. I was there in 1986 when the Bears destroyed the undermatched Pats. I was there through years and years of dismal, horrible seasons when the once great Celtics were terrible, the Red Sox couldn't win the series, even the Bruins sucked for awhile. I even have an old school, old logo Patriots jersey tucked away in a box somewhere - you know, the one with the minuteman in a football uniform and stance. It would never fit, so I'm not even trying to look for it. :)

So, love them or hate them, you need to let us die-hard fans enjoy this time. The last few years have been a fantastic time for a fan of Boston/New England sports. After decades of heartbreak, the flood gates of success have opened. Good luck, men. You have a chance to do something the announcers called "impossible" every season I can remember. And, as I get close to 40, that's quite a few seasons.

We're going to Big J and Momo's house to watch the game. Or, as it's also known, enemy territory. Big J called while I was on my run this morning already talking smack. That's okay big guy, the Giants are a perfect opponent. They earned their way to this stage. They have played brilliantly. They deserve to be where they are. It's going to be a great game...

No comments: