Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Monday, February 12, 2007

Remember, Be Safe

Today marks the beginning of week 2, and post #2 of my new blog. (I promise I will have tri-dog mom show me how to upload pictures, to make thimgs more interesting) There are a lot of fun & exciting things to talk about, but first we have to start with a little reality check. I sum it up with one word...

CRASH!!!!!!

On our weekly long ride (3 hours last week), a couple of our friends in the ride with us were at a Y in the road and ran into a little trouble. Specifically, a porsche without any indication of it was going straight or turning. Michael (in front) hit the brakes, and Matt (crash-ee) was right behind them, bumped his wheel, and down he went. At about 20mph. This isn't Matt's first crash, so I was really worried about him and his shoulders (broken/maimed/you name it in the past) when I saw the road marks on his shirt. The fortunate thing is that we were all pretty spread out, and Matt's the only one to hit the pavement. It could have gotten ugly if we were all weaving left and right to get around him. Anyway, he's scraped up pretty bad, and has some nice road rash, but nothing seems to be broken. It served to remind me of how lucky we really are most times in life. We can complain about little things that bug us, or not. Either way, in a flash, things can be dramatically changed. Forever. So, it reminded me to enjoy the day, week, training, everything. It was a stunning day, too. About 70 or so, slightly overcast. Absolutely beautiful riding weather. I even enjoyed spending the rest of the day cleaning up the yard, blowing leaves, buying a new leaf blower when the old one died, and doing all the things you do to get our house ready for a bbq on Sunday. Normally, I'm not a big fan of the yardwork. Especially when I end up missing my swim in order to do it. But on that day, I was just enjoying being outside...

You know, I think I'll stop there for now. I have a lot more to talk about, including the reason for the bbq, but it just seems like the right place to end for now.

1 comment:

:) said...

Hope your buddy is doing well after the crash. Be careful out there!