Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Friday, February 16, 2007

The Day Off

Today is the day I long for all week... my day off. With 11 workouts/week over 6 days, "The Day Off" carries great significance. Of course, by the end of the day, I'm jonesing to work out, but let's forget about that for a minute. Today is the one day of the week that I can sleep past dark, eat at whatever times of the day feels right (not every hour when my hunger becomes unbearable) and generally recover for the days to follow. I don't think enough people take the day off seriously enough. We triathlete-types are really pretty good about putting in our time, doing our workouts, waking our sorry butts up at 4:30 or 5am (ugh) so we can get our workout in and still get to work on time. But when it comes to the day off... we struggle. Many people dread or eliminate this day entirely. What we (as a group) tend to forget is that the workouts themselves don't do us any good at all. The recovery from the workouts is where all our gains are made, as our bodies build strength, endurance, and whatever else it does. You can see by the lack of technical knowledge that I will not and do not promote myself as a coach. But I do understand quite a bit about this crazy, obsessive, overly healthy sport we indulge in. And I know that the body needs some time off. Personally, I love the day off, can't wait for it, and rejoice in it. By late afternoon, I'm ready for the next workout, but know enough to let it be. So, tomorrow I will be stronger, faster, and more ready for my workouts than I was yesterday. The biggest question of the day.... Does that glass of wine I'll have with dinner speed up the process? It's good for your heart, right?!? So it must help!

No comments: