Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Friday, January 18, 2008

Life Goes On

So much has happened since my last post that I don't know where to begin. Consider this a sneak preview for the next Word Of the Week at allthingstriathlon.com, which makes its return very shortly.

On January 1, at 12:01am I sold my half of my business to my business partner. I'll save some of the reason why detail for the Word of the Week, but the ultimate result is.... I'm unemployed!!! By choice, but it's still a big difference. See, I'm used to working 8-6 as just a normal day. More when we were busy. Then, trying to train on top of that. Those of you with kids may consider that a vacation, but I found myself always behind and never getting anything done right. I have a lot of respect for everyone keeping anything close to this (or busier) schedule. K and I returned from our Mexico adventure on Jan 6, so I've now had about 2 weeks being on my own. And I can train...whenever I want. It's fantastic. It's perfect... well, almost. There's that whole "no income" thing, but we'll save that for another time.

If you've read any of K's blog, you know we, um, really enjoyed ourselves in Mexico. And I can't decide if I'm ashamed or proud of the fact that there are like 20 pictures of me taking a tequila shot while wearing an IronMan shirt. Don't get the wrong idea, not all 20 were on the same day, and I brought a couple shirts, but still.

So, once we got back it was time to get back to training. Not "Rock Star Apprentice" training like Mexico; triathon training. And it couldn't happen soon enough. I've gained, ahem, like 12 pounds, and it shows. First week back - 2 swims, 1 bike, 4 runs, and crunches/abs 4 days. Week 2 (barring something weird this weekend) 2 swims, 2 bikes, 4 runs, and crunches/abs 4-5 days. Strangely. Surprisingly. My body is happy to be enduring this "discomfort" during my transition from alcohol-soaked Shane back to IronShane. I feel like myself. Vacation was fantastic. Unemployment seems to suit me. And I'm back to training. To quote a very good friend's catch phrase "Life Is Good!"

Shane

PS: For those that remember, I seem to finally be past all my hernia-related issues. That was the jump start to the weight gain, but it's more fun to make it sound like it was all from our trip.

PPS: For those of you that are going to send K sympathy letters about her deadbeat husband, I have more going on that I'm letting on. Although it is true that I don't have an income at the moment, and no intention whatsoever of ever having a j-o-b again, it doesn't mean I'm not working. As projects are closer to launch, I'll let you know more. Fun, exciting times are on the horizon.

4 comments:

momo said...

he's baaaaaaack! woot! woot!

life IS good!

Spokane Al said...

I am glad to see that you have returned to the blog world. I will be looking forward to reading your stuff on training and your stylistic left turn in life.

Bigun said...

get on it, Shane - good to hear from you. Nice shots in Mehiko - enjoy now, worry later....

Papa Tweet said...

Glad to hear you are finding your way again. In the long run, the time off will help you in many ways. Sure, it will hurt you in obvious ways, but now you are hungry. You are ready to commit yourself. You are ready to pay the price, and the break will allow you to do it without the burn out factor. I'm looking forward to watching you reach your goals in CDA. Looking forward to hearing about your new projects too