Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Monday, April 9, 2007

Um, I crashed

Okay, what is going on with my training? For IM Wisconsin last year, I kept a daily log of my workouts. I had a big spreadsheet that I hung on the wall, 11 boxes wide (1 for each workout) and 20 boxes tall (1 for each week). If I completed a workout, I highlighted it yellow. If I missed a workout, I highlighted it pink. This was mostly to discourage myself from missing workouts, since I didn't want a wall full of pink. I barely missed any workouts. IM scared me too much. I had a couple that I missed from being out of town, a couple from being sick, and a couple from a knee injury I was fighting after a derailleur failure in a 1/2 IM warm-up race. That was it. I think I've missed more than that in the last 2 weeks!!!!!

It started with being sick with a sinus infection a couple weeks ago. Then a taper for Ragnar. Then a VERY sore hamstring from running Ragnar like my very life depended on it, more days off. This makes 2 weeks in a row without a long ride. Okay, I can deal with it, it'll be fine. Then, on Saturday, just a little over an hour into our long ride I fell behind the rest of the group. I'd slowed a little to eat, and was babying my hamstring so I didn't hammer away to catch back up. I figured I'd catch them eventually. As I approached the bottom of a hill and stop sign, I couldn't see anybody. We almost always go straight there, and I could see ahead for a little ways, and didn't see anybody. So, I started through the intersection, slowly, looking right in case they'd gone that way. I figured out they had gone that way, started to turn right, BAM!!!!!! I was on the ground. Ouch. How did that happen? I'm still not really sure. I don't know if it was slick, or if my new tire slid out, or if I just, well, fell.

I got my bike out of the middle of the street and realized I had a flat. K & momo came back and asked if I'd flatted. "Um, I crashed" was all I could reply. Okay, time for a damage report. My hip hurts quite a bit - hmmmm road rash. My ankle seems to hurt - hmmmmm I don't seem to have an ankle, just a bloody mess. My hands kind-of hurt - hmmmmm looks like I tried to stop myself and scraped them up, too. It wasn't until today that I realized my neck/shoulder and bicep (How does that happen?!?) are a mess, too. The girls offered to call someone to pick me up, but I knew that if I didn't get back on the bike I would be intimidated by it. So, I got back on and limped home. Nobody said anything, but I know I was obscenely slow. Thanks for not saying anything ladies.

Guess what? No long ride for 3 weeks running! Yikes. I was okay with 2, I"m stressing a little about 3. I'm going to have to back down my mileage and re-intersect with the group when they take down week coming up. My Sunday run - didn't happen. My Monday (today)am Long swim. um 750m instead of 3500m. I just couldn't do it. I will try to do the 3500m Wednesday, and count this one as my "recovery" swim.

I guess I just need to stay upright for awhile and get back on track.

1 comment:

Cycling Newbies said...

Oh Shane, I am sorry this happened - that just bites. Hope you are starting to feel less sore and less messed up today.