Please Visit My New Triathlon Website

Ironshane

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Strange Days Indeed

So, the last few weeks haven't exactly gone my way. I was sick, and missed training. After tapering for Ragnar, I pulled my hamstring during the race, and missed training. Got back up to speed, and had a minor crash on the bike that roughed up my hip, and missed more training. It's a nice black/purple/yellow color! Man. I guess nobody ever said this Ironman stuff was easy. I am really glad that I have completed my first one, though. I think I'd be an absolute wreck if I'd missed this much training the first time around. I'm not happy about it, but I know everything will ultimately be okay. I may have to start altering goals a little, but I"ll withhold judgement on that one until I see how the next month+ works out.

The good news is that I busted out a 62.3 mile bike ride/:30 brick today, even with all the downtime. I got a little tired on the bike, but held up okay. Brick felt fine. I'm tired (feel like I could nap), but other than that I feel great. I didn't know how the hip would hold up (sore/tender, but more annoying than painful), the hamstring (a little tight, not bad), the heartrate (high, but within aerobic limits), and the desire (soaring!). K is pretty happy for me to get back out there, too. I was definitely grumpy having so much time off and not working out. grrrrrrrrrrrr. hee hee hee. Everyone at work will be happy, too, I"m sure.

So tomorrow is IronMan Arizona. I have a work thing all day, which is very disappointing. I have been to the first 2 as a spectator and volunteer. I love IronMan day, whether racing, watching, or helping. It is so inspiring to see people of all ages, sizes, shapes, adn abilities get out there to do their thing. My good friend, Lito, is racing tomorrow. He had a family tragedy about 4 weeks from race day last year and had to pull out. The guy has been training for this race for like 2 years. Send good mojo his way, he deserves it! I know it will be very emotional for him, as it is for everyone, and I have to honestly say that I feel pretty guilty about not being there for him. I am bringing my laptop and will check on him, and send good mojo, as often as I can. You know, when you sit and think about all he's been through to get to the start line, my silly little injuries really don't mean anything. Go get it, Lito, tomorrow you join the IronMan family. The price of admission is high, but the rewards will stay with you forever...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wind was hell out there today. But Lito persevered and kicked butt!